Welcome

Welcome to Egg and Death Journal. The name comes from the novel The Egg and I about a couple who moved to the Olympic Peninsula and started a chicken farm. Operating with little capital and few resources, the author used a single ledger to keep records of both egg production and chicken attrition. What does that have to do with this blog? Not a whole lot. They're both journals I suppose.

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Blue Spruce with Lights


This is our other surviving ex-Christmas tree, a Blue Spruce from our living-Christmas tree phase. (see Nov. 30 blog comments)  I think this might have been #1 in fact.  Last year about this time I took a string of lights to put on it but when I got there I realized the little Spruce was much taller up close, and also the wind was blowing.  So I flung the string, from upwind, onto the tree hoping they would sort of drape magically over it like in a Disney movie.  Instead they wrapped themselves tightly around the trunk in the manner of a homesick Koala.  I then had the chutzpa to actually plug them in and turn them on at night sometimes.  They were really kind of pretty in an avant-garde sculptury kind of way when you couldn't see the tree because it was dark.  In another more down-to-earth way they probably appeared more like the lights of a small sloop lost in a North Atlantic storm.  I never took them down last January so they are the only Christmas decorations we've gotten up so far this season.  I do believe in the saying that anything worth doing is worth doing well.  I just don't always adhere to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment